ADS 468x60

Friday 18 February 2011

John Hughes 1950 - 2009

www.tips-fb.com
It's John Hughes's birthday today. I know that name will mean alot to some readers of this blog but to me his voice in film never really resonated that loudly. That's not saying I didn't like everything Hughes did, quite the opposite, I think he did some really good, important work, it's just his style and storytelling never clicked with me.

Hughes seemed to be the voice of the 80's. His work was embraced by a whole generation which appeared to single out and speak directly to each individual.
I've recently re-watched The Breakfast Club and found a new respective for that film, I don't know if its my age and nostalgia is quietly kicking in but I made more of an association with the kids now than I did when I first saw it.

I also recently came across Ferris Bueller's Day Off on Film4, a film that I've really not liked since as far back as I can remember. Well I'm afraid the same feelings for that still remain, I hate it. I hate it's smugness and cocky rich kid outwitting everyone-ess. I know this will not be a popular opinion of the film, some of my friends have this as one of their all time favourite films ever, but that's just my feelings toward the story and characters

On the other hand there is Plane, Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck. Two films I love greatly, although my opinion may be slightly swayed by John Candy, and are regularly viewed.

With all Hughes's films though there is an undeniable heart that runs through the core of the stories. Maybe its this what emotionally connect people to his body of work? Either way I respect John Hughes and what he brought to cinema. His work, in a small way, shaped some of my best friends into the people they are today and for that I am grateful. I feel for someone who doesn't like Hughes or his work or hasn't heard John Candy's speech in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target.......

What's your favourite Hughes (directed film)?

Curly Sue
Uncle Buck
She's Having a Baby
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Weird Science
The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment