ADS 468x60

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Marcia Lucas Made Star Wars Better?

www.tips-fb.com
Here's an interesting article that I think alot of Star Wars fans will find interesting. It would appear that many of A New Hope's major scenes were actually the brainchild of Lucas's ex-wife Marcia. It'd certainly explain the prequels.

Here's a few choice selections

She came up with the idea of killing Obi-Wan Kenobi. What!?! Lucas told the Rolling Stone:

I was rewriting, I was struggling with that plot problem when my wife suggested that I kill off Ben, which she thought was a pretty outrageous idea, and I said, ‘Well, that is an interesting idea, and I had been thinking about it.’ Her first idea was to have Threepio get shot, and I said impossible because I wanted to start and end the film with the robots, I wanted the film to really be about the robots and have the theme be the framework for the rest of the movie. But then the more I thought about Ben getting killed the more I liked the idea.

She came up with the” kiss of luck”. Hamill had this to say a few years ago:

I know for a fact that Marcia Lucas was responsible for convincing him to keep that little ‘kiss for luck’ before Carrie [Fisher] and I swing across the chasm in the first film: ‘Oh, I don’t like it, people laugh in the previews,’ and she said, ‘George, they’re laughing because it’s so sweet and unexpected’—and her influence was such that if she wanted to keep it, it was in.

She also helped develop the Death Star Trench Warfare:

The Death Star trench run was originally scripted entirely different, with Luke having two runs at the exhaust port; Marcia had re-ordered the shots almost from the ground up, trying to build tension lacking in the original scripted sequence, which was why this one was the most complicated. She warned George, ‘If the audience doesn’t cheer when Han Solo comes in at the last second in the Millennium Falcon to help Luke when he’s being chased by Darth Vader, the picture doesn’t work.’

I didn't know any of the above and it's always a joy to learn new things about one of your favourite movies. I recommend checking out the article linked at the beginning to find out more.

Thanks to The Movie Blog for highlighting this.
Comments
1 Comments

1 comments:

Dave The Boy said...

Will check this out when I get home - almost sad to see that Lucas couldn't even make his best film great on his own.

Empire Strikes Back is another example - everyone knows it was Kirsch that made that a great film.

Lucas is essentially an ewok who had a good idea in 1977 and it lucked out.

Post a Comment