ADS 468x60

Monday 28 March 2011

Review: Sex And The City 2 (15) ★

www.tips-fb.com
Plot
While wrestling with the pressures of life, love, and work in Manhattan, Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte join Samantha for a trip to Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), where Samantha's ex is filming a new movie.

Review
I feel very strongly that Sex and the City 2 is the most awful and unnecessary film ever made.
I never really liked Sex and the City the series - largely because I found Carrie to be annoying and pretentious. You may ask, quite validly, why I went to see the sequel film of a series that I found to be less interesting than the sandpaper aisle at B&Q. In answer to this, I think I accompanied some friends who were a big fan of the series in it’s heyday, so I decided to give Carrie and co. one last chance on their behalf. It was 146 minutes of my life lost that I will never regain.

Everyone knew that the first Sex and the City film was highly unlikely to become a world-wide, critically acclaimed master-piece, but to make a second one was a step too far for any ethical human being. Clearly, the only justifiable reason for the creation of such a monstrosity was to line everybody involved’s pockets one final time; the cast now being of a certain age and unable to gallivant round New York City like mutton dressed as lamb for yet another series.

What particularly angered me though, was the scene after Samantha had publicly offended everyone in the centre of Abu Dhabi and got chased by an angry mob. The 'girls' were then taken in to a hidden side street, by a group of local women in black habits, to prevent them from being stoned or something similar (I felt this was a shame, as seeing SJP mobbed by a violent crowd might just have been worth my £5.95). These kind strangers take off their black attire to lend them to the gang, to allow them to retreat back into the crowd unnoticed. Low and behold, when these wives and daughters of extreme Muslim fundamentalists remove their official dress, they reveal the latest High Fashion trends from the USA. They claim to be huge fans of American culture and to avidly read the fashion magazines. Now, I realise this may be turning into a rant and I know that not all Americans are ego-centric idiots, ignorant to any other culture, religion or way of life other than their own. However to me, the writers of this film were making a brash, unresearched and ignorant attempt to approach a sensitive political issue. They attempt to highlight the oppressive aspects of Islamic culture and through this, show how wonderful and free the United states are and suggest that everybody secretly wants to be an American. If I was American, this film would make me be ashamed to be so.

There were many more annoying and pointless parts to the film, but the part where our heroines decide to sing karaoke, further proved to me that some people just have far too much time on their hands. I never, never in my life needed to see Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kirsten Davis and Cynthia Nixon sing “I am women”. I’d never even heard of the song, and quite frankly, was blissful in my ignorance.

I struggle to think of any part of this film that holds any merit whatsoever, so for the above reasons, if you have not yet seen it, please, I beg you, save yourself.

Review Submitted and Rated by: Nicky Willis
Comments
1 Comments

1 comments:

Dave The Boy said...

Brilliant :)

A well written public service announcement :)

Post a Comment